Cohen, Daniel, J. and Rosenzweig, Roy. Digital History: A Guide to Gathering, Preserving, and Presenting the Past on the Web. Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania Press, 2006. Also available online at http://chnm.gmu.edu/digitalhistory/.
Hayes, Samuel P. The Response to Industrialism: 1885-1914. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2nd ed., 1995.
Week 8 Readings:
- DiCuirci & Hardy (2016). Mill Girls in Nineteenth-Century Print: AAS Collections meet DH Pedagogy. Past is Present: The American Antiquarian Society Blog. Retrieved from http://pastispresent.org/2016/digital-humanities-2/mill-girls-in-nineteenth-century-print/
- K. Sklar & T. Dublin (2013). Creating Meaning in a Sea of Information: The Women and Social Movements Web Sites. In K. Nawrotzki & J. Dougherty (Eds.). Writing History in the Digital Age. Retrieved from http://quod.lib.umich.edu/d/dh/12230987.0001.001/1:7/–writing-history-in-the-digital-age?g=dculture;rgn=div1;view=fulltext;xc=1#7.2
- A. Cummings & J. Jarrett (2013). Only Typing? Informal Writing, Blogging, and the Academy (2013). In K. Nawrotzki & J. Dougherty (Eds.). Writing History in the Digital Age. Retrieved from http://quod.lib.umich.edu/d/dh/12230987.0001.001/1:10/–writing-history-in-the-digital-age?g=dculture;rgn=div1;view=fulltext;xc=1#10.2
Week 4 Readings:
- February 2: Hays – Chapters 2 – 6.
- February 4: Hays – Chapters 7 – Conclusion.
Week 3 Readings:
- January 26: Chapter from Licht; Hays Intro – Chapter 1.
- For access to the Licht chapter click here: Industrializing America_The Nineteenth Century
- January 28:
Hayes Chapters 2 – 6.
Week 2 Optional Readings:
Digitizing the “mirror with a memory” – Brown University. (aka digitizing a daguerreotype) http://library.brown.edu/dps/curio/digitizing-the-mirror-with-a-memory/
Digital Copyright Slider: http://librarycopyright.net/resources/digitalslider/
Copyright and Cultural Institutions: Guidelines for Digitization for U.S. Libraries, Archives, and Museums – Hirtle, Peter B.; Hudson, Emily; Kenyon, Andrew T. http://hdl.handle.net/1813/14142
Digitization Best Practices:
- Federal Agencies Digital Guidelines Initiative (FADGI) – Guidelines: Technical Guidelines for Digitizing Cultural Heritage Materials (2010) http://www.digitizationguidelines.gov/guidelines/FADGI_Still_Image-Tech_Guidelines_2010-08-24.pdf
- BCR’s CDP Digital Imaging Best Practices Version 2.0 (2008) http://mwdl.org/docs/digital-imaging-bp_2.0.pdf
Week 1 Readings:
Readings due Thursday, January 14
Cohen and Rosenzweig, Introduction. Can be found online at http://chnm.gmu.edu/digitalhistory/
Spellman, Bill “Digital Scholarship at a Distance” http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bill-spellman/digital-scholarship-at-a-_b_5755010.html